Friday, September 23, 2011

Kid's Menu

I know this is not real food, but it was a great project to do with my kids so I thought I'd share.

My little girl loves to play waitress. She often grabs a little note pad and pen and says to me "Ma'am? What would like off the menu?" When she said this to me the other day I instantly thought "Hey...that would be a great craft time project to do together, plus she could learn something at the same time."

So here we go.

I gave each child a pair of safety scissors, pulled out my collection of old magazines (primarly Family Circle, Good Housekeeping and Family Fun) and handed one to each child.  I then asked the children to go through their magazines and to cut out all the pictures of food that they could find.


Once everyone had their piles of food we cleared off the table and sorted the foods into 4 categories: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snacks/Desserts.  We labeled a separate piece of construction paper for each category and then glued the correspondings foods to the paper.
After allowing the glue to dry we stapled the papers together to form a "book."  My itty bitty is lovin' her new menu, and I love that we were able to talk about nutrition and health in a fun and creative way.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome idea! We used to spend hours making menus then taking our parents' orders and then making them dinner.

    ReplyDelete